By Francis O'Gorman
- Opens up for the reader the cultural international during which the Victorian novel used to be written and read.
- Crosses conventional disciplinary boundaries.
- Provides clean views on how Victorian fiction pertains to various contexts, equivalent to classification, sexuality, empire, psychology, legislation and biology.
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
Spiritualists within the 19th century observed the “Borderland,” a shadowy threshold the place the residing communed with the lifeless, and the place these within the fabric realm might obtain convenience or suggestion from one other global. The expert performances of often woman actors and performers made the “Borderland” a theatre, of varieties, during which dramas of revelation and popularity have been produced within the kinds of séances, trances, and spiritualist lectures.
The feminine Servant and Sensation Fiction: 'Kitchen Literature' explores why Victorian sensation fiction was once derided as literature healthy just for maids and chefs and the way the depictions of fictional girl domestics, from Jane Eyre to Neo-Victorian novels, mirror modern social matters concerning the blurring of the bounds of sophistication and gender.
The Political Poetess demanding situations known money owed of the determine of the nineteenth-century Poetess, providing new readings of Poetess functionality and feedback. In appearing the Poetry of lady, the mythic Poetess has lengthy staked her claims as a creature of "separate spheres"—one exempt from rising readings of nineteenth-century women's political poetics.
Kimberly Rhodes's interdisciplinary booklet is the 1st to discover absolutely the complex representational heritage of Shakespeare's Ophelia in the course of the Victorian interval. In nineteenth-century Britain, the form, functionality and illustration of women's our bodies have been in most cases regulated and interpreted through private and non-private associations, whereas emblematic fictional girl figures like Ophelia functioned as idealized templates of Victorian womanhood.
- Economies of Desire at the Victorian Fin de Siècle: Libidinal Lives (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature)
- Book Destruction from the Medieval to the Contemporary (New Directions in Book History)
- Writing Death and Absence in the Victorian Novel: Engraved Narratives
- Working-class Childhood and Child Labour in Victorian England
- The Poetry of Victorian Scientists: Style, Science and Nonsense (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
Additional info for A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)